Monday, October 24, 2011

Woe is Monday vs Blessed is Monday

As an avid Facebooker I often see the "Woe is Monday" comments.  Sometimes I struggle to understand what all the complaining is about.  I understand that the weekends are enjoyable, but is Monday really that bad?  We should be used to it.  It comes every week,  We know full well to expect it. 

My Monday's are my productive catch up days.  I often have a laundry list of things to accomplish come Monday.  Today was no different.  The day went so fast, and dare I say-it was enjoyable!

 I have designated Monday as laundry day.  This week was no different.  I have done 7 loads of laundry.  There are 2 more to finish, but the bulk of it is done.  It was not so bad either.  Just think what it would be like without a washer...like back in the scrub board days. I have no reason to complain about the ease of a modern day washing procedure.  Here is the kids portion of laundry day, after I had put away Dan's and mine.


In between loads of laundry I took a trip to Target.  I did a bit of grocery shopping and I bought the rest of the stuff for the shoe boxes we are filling for Operation Christmas Child.  This program provides a shoe box of goodies including school supplies, essential clothing, toys, and hygiene supplies for kids who otherwise would not receive a Christmas gift.  A booklet is also put in the shoe boxes to give the receiving child and their family info about Jesus.  It is a way of showing God's love in a practical way.  I decided to fill 6 boxes this year.  There is one for each age group, both girl (front row of boxes) and boy (back row of boxes).  I just love making these and pray that the recipients will be blessed by the box, and most importantly that they will know and accept the love of Jesus as their own.
In the middle of laundry, before and after Target, and before and after filling the shoe boxes, I attempted making homemade bread.  I have never made a loaf of bread like this.  I have made the frozen kinds where you pull out a frozen pre-made dough, let it rise and bake it.  I have made buiscits.  I have also made many sweet breads like pumpkin, applesauce, cranberry etc. but I have never made a type of sandwich or artisan bread from scratch...until today.  I mixed dough, kneaded it by hand, let it rise 2 times and baked it.  And, I sampled it, and it turned out just as I was hoping!  Yummy!  I made wheat buttermilk honey bread.
Here is the recipe I used:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/buttermilk-honey-bread/Detail.aspx

And, here is the photo of one of my loaves (it makes 2):


When the kids came home from school we met a friend and some neighbors at the park.  It was nice to enjoy some conversation and friendship.  (No pictures today of that though).

After the park, we came home.  I was in the process of making supper and the kids were having a hard time controlling themselves.  I know that late afternoons can be a time of meltdowns and today that happened.  The kids were sent to their rooms so they would be separated and could calm themselves down.  I went up to talk to them about their behavior and Zack handed me a paper.  (I had seen it on his desk for a couple weeks so I guess he was prepared for his next room confinement.)  Here is his paper...

My assumption is that he meant one of the "d's" to be an "o".  In either case, he is not God, but he can often be good. This paper had no merit for me as it was done well in advance.  But, I did enjoy both the mis-spelling and the thought behind it.  After time alone, both kids were civil and enjoyable.

So although many people dread Monday each week, if we just have the outlook that it is going to come, we can make the most of it.  I hope that we can all have the mentality that each day is a blessing and as the verse and song go "Today is the day that the Lord has made."  Rejoice, and be glad.  We are blessed beyond comprehension.

1 comment: