Friday, April 22, 2011

No TV is liked by Me

Zack's school has given the challenge to families of turning off their tv for a week.  7 days of no watching tv.  It has been interesting to comply with this request.  Our routine weekday screen time was for about 30 minutes in the mornings before school, then occasionally after school for 30-45 minutes.  The weekends are a bit more with Sunday mornings before church shows and Saturday morning cartoons and sometimes some Wii in the afternoon.  I do not think it is excessive, but I always prefer other things for the boys over tv.
Anyway, here is our past several days...
Day 1 (We started on Sunday)  The kids asked probably a dozen times if they could watch something.  It is after all, their favorite day to watch tv, especially in the mornings.  Dan and I reminded them each time that there would not be tv.  It was a big adjustment (yes, I am embarrassed that it was so difficult!).
Day 2 We were very busy this day, visiting friends and having a late meal so it was not even thought about...Yea!
Day 3 This was also a busy day although they asked to watch after school a couple times.  Both Zack and Owen asked me (in hopes that I would say yes to one of them I think!) but I held firm.  They found alternative things to do and moved on quite quickly. 
Day 4 The kids did not even ask to watch although they had several moments of not knowing what to do. 
Day 5 Again, the kids did not ask to watch.
Day 6 (today) they have not asked to watch and it is a day off from school.  I am so proud of them. 
I am really enjoying them finding alternative ways to enjoy the day.  There is much less fussing and whining.  I have attributed that to tv too.  For some reason the kids can get so grumpy when it is time to turn off the tv or to turn off video games.  I have never understood this.   And, because they have poor attitudes it has limited much of the games they are "allowed" to play and limited the amount of tv watching they are able to watch. 
So, instead of tv, we have replaced it with things that are fun and that occupy some down time.  Today, we had a busy day getting ready to go to MN for Easter.  The kids and I cleaned the playroom (a bit too long awaited if you ask me!), we went to the library, and then the grocery store to get a couple ingredients to make dirt cake, they helped with some laundry and did a couple outside jobs to help me get extra stuff out for the garbage man.  Then, after lunch the kids and I made the dirt cake to bring to MN and the boys have been playing...without asking to watch tv!  I also have plans to make some donut muffins http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/doughnut-muffins-recipe to have for breakfast tomorrow.  Then, it will be off to MN! 
This no tv thing...I am really liking it!  I am looking forward to warm weather that will be incentive to permanently replace much screen time by enjoying creation. 
As for the past 6 days, I am proud of my boys for their lack of tv!

No comments:

Post a Comment