Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Week in Projects

This week has been an eventful week around here.  With the eventfulness, much has been put off (like the bucket loads of laundry that I just almost caught up on yesterday, and every room looking like a tornado) but I am now seeing some completions!  Yippee!!

Project #1
It started off last Wednesday by attempting another new recipe.  This one was called Whirlie Twirlies.  What kids will not like something with that name?!  Below are half of the products that were left after the first serving.  Apparently even the name did not entice Zack enough to like them, but Owen and I really did!  It is pizza dough rolled out, sauce on top, then cheese.  Roll it back up and cut the "tube" so it looks like a swirl.  Place them on a pan, and bake them like a pizza.  Yummo! 


Project #2
I have had some fleece sitting at the bottom of the stairs for about 3 months waiting to be transformed into a fleece tied blanket.  I have walked past this bag a couple times a day since I bought it and kept thinking I needed to complete it.  (It was in the basement so it was not too obtrusive).  It only takes about an hour (45 minutes if I am focused and not on the phone!).  Just to clarify that sentence quickly, I am not on the phone all day long, but I like to multitask while I am on the phone and making the blankets is something I can do at the same time as talking so I feel productive as well.  OK, so clarification done...below is a picture of the latest tied blanket that I donated to CareNet to help a needy mom and to comfort a child.  Hopefully it will become much appreciated and loved by a precious little girl...and it is no longer sitting at the bottom of my stairs...BUT, I bought more fleece the next day so I have several more to make now! :)



Project #3
When we moved here almost 4 years ago the stairway to the basement was the only space carpeted downstairs.  Last summer we finished the last part of our basement, including getting new carpet.  (The summer before we completed a bedroom (carpeted) and bathroom and the carpet we chose for that was discontinued so we had to pick out a different one for the family room area. That means there were 3 types of carpet joining together.   So, we decided that it was time to replace the mismatched carpet with the newest type we most recently placed in the basement before it was disconnected.   Although I did not do this myself, it was none the less a project that I spearheaded and followed up.  (And perhaps because I was the one that was bothered by 3 different types of carpet joining together!)  Below are the before, during and after photos. 


The landing at the bottom is the same carpet as the bedroom on the right.


I snuck this picture when the installer ran out to his van to grab a tool.


The matching carpet to the family room on the left.
Yea!  It is done and is so much softer and looks great!  (I know the pictures don't show too much difference so I guess you will just have to come over to see for yourself!) :)

Project #4
Last, but certainly not least, is project #4 for the week.  I started painting Owen's room on Saturday and FINALLY finished today-Wednesday.  He is one of the biggest Packer fans there is and really wanted a green and yellow room.  I am not a big fan of the color yellow and even less of a fan of the color green so this was a big deal for me.  I like to pick the colors I paint myself, and up until this painting job I have.  Well, I figured I can let go a bit and let Owen enjoy his passion in his room.  So, 2 walls are green and 2 walls are yellow (and the yellow took 4 coats of paint and could probably use another coat but I'm tired of painting cheese color and I did not want to buy another gallon of paint so please do not look too closely!).  After finishing his room I had Owen check it out.  He stood on his tiptoes and was smiling about as big as he could.  I asked him if he liked it and he said "good." (We just ordered a Packer's rug for his room tonight and it will be a surprise for him when it comes in the mail!)  If Owen's happy, then I am happy...but rest assured there will be NO MORE green or yellow in our home! :)







Although I am not the greatest painter, the spots on the wall are from the camera lens. :)
 So, now that those projects are completed it is time to catch up on everything I put off to get those done!  Back to work, Kirsten...chop, chop!

No comments:

Post a Comment